Main Article Content
Teacher quality is one of the indicators of educational quality in one country. Teacher education as an institution that develops the skills and knowledge of future teachers contributes significantly to teacher quality. Apart from its controversy, PISA results that placed Indonesia at the bottom of the list for over two decades are a wake-up call to improve the quality of teachers. Accordingly, there is an urgent need to improve the quality of teacher education, as suggested in the reviews of national policies for education in Indonesia. The voices of dissatisfaction on the quality of initial teacher education in Indonesia are clear to hear, indicating that graduates of initial teacher education (ITE) are perceived not professional yet for the teaching profession. This paper discusses three challenges that affect the quality of ITE in Indonesia. First, ITE has a low stake selection process for teacher candidates. Second, there is a huge discrepancy of initial teacher education institutions. Third, there has been an oversupply of teacher graduates with diverse abilities and career intentions. This paper argues that the quality of graduates is built on the quality of entrants and institutions. This paper suggests the reformation of the selection process and diminishing the discrepancy in ITE institutions quality to improve the quality of teacher education graduates in Indonesia.
The author retains the copyright of original material, by publishing in the Proceedings of Indonesia Focus. The author will have agreed to the following contractual terms:
- The article is the original work of the stated author.
- The work has not been published previously.
- If the Article contains copyright material owned by others, written permission has been obtained from the copyright owner(s) to republish such material in any print or electronic medium and that the author has included appropriate acknowledgement of such rights in the Article.
- The author agrees to grant a non-exclusive license to the Proceedings of Indonesia Focus to communicate the work to the public.
- The Proceedings of Indonesia Focus may use the article for publicity purposes.