Main Article Content
Social media has changed the way we interact with each other. There are benefits of having social media, but there are also consequences too. One of the consequences is context collapse, where multiple audiences and context are combined into one big audience. Culture played a huge role in determining the types of performances that the Indonesian youths portray online. Firstly, on the platform level where they perform the front stage on Instagram and backstage on Twitter. Second, on the account level, they created multiple accounts on different accounts to further limit the audience and to present their real self. Finally, they used features to further limit the view of the audience by using a platform-specific filter. It can be concluded that this phenomenon is best termed as a nested performance. The different layers depicted different usages and thus different online self presentations.
The author retains the copyright of original material, by publishing in the Proceedings of Indonesia Focus. The author will have agreed to the following contractual terms:
- The article is the original work of the stated author.
- The work has not been published previously.
- If the Article contains copyright material owned by others, written permission has been obtained from the copyright owner(s) to republish such material in any print or electronic medium and that the author has included appropriate acknowledgement of such rights in the Article.
- The author agrees to grant a non-exclusive license to the Proceedings of Indonesia Focus to communicate the work to the public.
- The Proceedings of Indonesia Focus may use the article for publicity purposes.