Main Article Content
Teaching and learning process, interestingly, based on the demography, can draw a huge gap in education. It can be experienced by educational components such as teachers, students, and communities. Teaching in rural areas becomes challenging too regarding its limitations, from human resources, infrastructures, and facilities. Through the Travelling and Teaching program by 1000 Guru Riau, these inequalities are expected to be bridged so that students in rural areas have better teaching and learning experiences from teachers and volunteers who come from urban areas. Undoubtedly, participating teachers and volunteers in this program can also reflect on the value of teaching and learning in rural areas. Their reflections are expected to be used for planning and transforming their lives personally and professionally to make some improvements in education. This study therefore aimed at exploring the experiences of teachers and volunteers in rural areas on (1) their perspectives in conducting teaching and learning in rural areas, (2) the challenges faced by the teacher and volunteers during the teaching and learning in rural areas, and (3) their recommendations in teaching and learning in rural areas. In addition, this study used qualitative research methods with a case study design. The participants were four volunteers and four teachers. Framed by a humanistic perspective, a semi-structured interview was employed as a data collection technique in this narrative case study. Furthermore, this study is expected to contribute to teacher professional development in rural areas.
The author retains the copyright of original material, by publishing in the Proceedings of Indonesia Focus. The author will have agreed to the following contractual terms:
- The article is the original work of the stated author.
- The work has not been published previously.
- If the Article contains copyright material owned by others, written permission has been obtained from the copyright owner(s) to republish such material in any print or electronic medium and that the author has included appropriate acknowledgement of such rights in the Article.
- The author agrees to grant a non-exclusive license to the Proceedings of Indonesia Focus to communicate the work to the public.
- The Proceedings of Indonesia Focus may use the article for publicity purposes.